All You Need To Know About The Brooklyn Bridge April 01 2014
1) The Brooklyn Bridge is one of New York’s great landmarks, the most loved bridge in the city.
2) The Downtown’s view is spectacular. The Brooklyn Bridge connects two great New York City boroughs: Manhattan and Brooklyn. You can walk it, drive it, bike it, or just admire it. One way or the other, the Brooklyn Bridge soaring over the East River is one of New York City’s most famous routes, both for tourists and born-and-bred NewYorkers.
3) When Brooklyn Bridge opened on May 25, 1883, it was justly considered one of the world’s greatest wonders. It was the largest suspension bridge in existence.
4) In 1898, the city of Brooklyn formally merged with New York City, Staten Island and a few farm towns, forming Greater New York.
5) The bridge was a public works project conducted on a scale never before seen in New York, employing 4.000 people, taking 14 years.
6) Before the Brooklyn Bridge, anyone wishing to cross the East River had to take the Fulton Ferry.
7) One hundred thirty years later the bridge is still an important part of the city’s transportation network, carrying approximately 145000 cars per day and numerous pedestrian.